The rant of a working mom

The week has finally ended and for the first time in over three months, I don’t quite have much to say except “phew!”. As a working mom, this pandemic has been one of the most challenging and trying times, partly because my toddler has been going through sleep regressions but also because working from home has resulted in extremely long business hours. Actually, who am I kidding, working from home has meant being on call for eighteen hours a day! It does not matter if I am making dinner or bathing the baby, the phone just doesn’t stop ringing and emails keep coming. It might be because the ‘at home office’ set up allows for one to quickly log on and reply to a few emails, so I have been expected to do so at the most random of times.

On a positive note, it has been such a blessing to not be out of the house by 4:45am every morning, or to spend nearly an hour every day commuting to and from work, daycare and home. I am especially grateful for this because the sleep regressions seem to be hitting a little harder this time around. With my body surviving on four hours of sleep on average, I have found that my brain has not quite caught up to reality. Firstly, we are now in level two of lockdown and yet I missed the window to stock up on gin and champagne… I do not think I have even been out of the house during the legal hours that were banned just a week ago! Very soon, life will be back to normal and I will be missing these days spent at home with my cuddly teddy bear husband.

What has working from home looked like in the recent months?

• Meetings in pyjamas
  • Evening showers
  • Distorted meal times
  • Laptops in bed
  • Conference call ‘accidents’
  • 30 hour days (praise the Lord for the longer days)

Sorry husband, I won’t gossip on the phone anymore while you are on a call and I will certainly not feed you again when you are on video conference with a client! Please tell me that I am not the only one who has made such silly mistakes…? Blame the mom brain!

The purpose of today’s short, raw and un-proofread post is really just to let any other working moms know that it is ok to be burn out, to need some alone time without the kids around. I recently read a tweet from another mom who was elated to get to spend the night in a hotel, away from her family as part of her birthday present. If you want that too, you are not alone. Also, what is this story about people learning to cook and bake bread during this pandemic? I have gotten very acquainted with heat and eat meals, pre-marinated meats, couscous and bread for all meals. If you have also been finding it difficult to spend an extra half hour cooking up a storm, don’t worry, many of us share the same theme song!

My husband shared this video with me just a few days ago in an attempt to make me laugh, ironically, it is the video that most resonates with me in this pandemic. If you are not a working mom, watch it for giggles, but if you are, let me know if there is any truth in this two minute video!

And lastly, to anyone who may feel that we working moms are complaining despite getting the best of both worlds, I will leave you with a quote from one of my previous posts that has been more relevant now than ever; “I will not apologise for being a tired working mom!

35 Comments Add yours

Girl watch the 2 min video, it will brighten your day LOL

Liked by 2 people

1. Hilary Tan says:

What’s your job? What you described sounds like my husband’s job lol He has non-stop phone calls, emails etc. Even though he works from home, he travels a lot for business trips.

Liked by 2 people

1. Shelly DS says:

I work in sales so deadlines are real lol You’re lucky it’s your husband and not you!

1. Hilary Tan says:

I wish my husband didn’t have to travel so much and see clients, but I’m grateful that he has a job. I wish I had a job to support the family. Disposable income would be nice 🙌

2. carlamilho says:

Como eu te compreendo tão bem, amiga 🥰🥰🥰🙏🍀🦋🌹

1. Shelly DS says:

When we are gone we can rest 😅 Ser mãe é emprego com contrato permanente!

1. carlamilho says:

É verdade, sem folgas mas com a melhor renumeração do mundo, amor 😊❤️💕🌹

3. beth says:

This is all so true, and all 3 of my daughters are living this

Liked by 2 people

the fact that you have 3 says you lived through it too ❤

4. justcalmwildness says:

I cannot relate but I really love the way you put it.

Liked by 2 people

5. Michelle (Boomer Eco Crusader) says:

It is exhausting when your kids are small. Now that mine are grown, I sometimes wish I could go back to those days. Although I never had to be a working mom of small kids in a pandemic. I can only imagine how difficult that is.

Liked by 1 person

6. LOL I use to be like those women portrayed. Running myself ragged. And then the Kaboom happened and reality changed. I no longer wanted that. I simplified and am the happier for it. I do always miss my naps though after holidays. They frown upon it at work. 🙂 Have an awesome Saturday. 🙂

1. Shelly DS says:

Hmmm explain this simplifying process? It sounds convincing

1. Let me grab my coffee so I can sit and drink it while figuring out how to put

Liked by 1 person

7. I loved that video and so agree with you! We haven’t slept in two years plus the twins are cranky/hyperactive when awake so working from home with them was a nightmare and I was SO ANNOYED at all of this baking bread talk and ”I finally had time to clean my house, plant a garden, organise all our stuff and write a book!” Thankfully the boys are at daycare right now (well not today, it’s Saturday! 🤪) but the 2nd wave will be here soon and I’m dreadibg what that will mean… Hang in there!!! xx

Liked by 2 people

1. Shelly DS says:

Oh gosh yeah I also sent my little one back to daycare but until next week they have only been doing half days. The kiddos get so bored and cranky, wish this pandemic would just go away! Shame whenever you mention twins I freak out on your behalf! 💖

8. PoojaG says:

Not a working mum but I can definitely imagine how difficult that must be!

1. Shelly DS says:

It is def rewarding though! 💖

9. Wm. Allen says:

That BBC video was funny and get made a point. I so liked it, that I am putting it in my own blog post. Thank you so much for passing that video on.

Thanks for reading 🙂

10. Krisna says:

“I want to marry a rich banker and go to brunch!” — this made me laugh hard 🤣

Liked by 2 people

1. Shelly DS says:

I used to say something similar when I was younger lol and now I’ve married the corporate lawyer but I’m still working 😅

11. Hang in there! Working from home is definitely challenging, especially if work overlaps the home. I think it was Esther Perel who said working from home is actually working with home because you have to deal with everything happening at work and at home at the same time. Hoping you cope well and figure out healthy boundaries so the number of overwhelming days lessen a little, if at all possible.

Liked by 2 people

1. Shelly DS says:

“Working with home” yes!! Gosh good luck when it’s your turn 😉

1. Thank you. Even now, it can get overwhelming on some days when I must attend to Markus and my family at the same time. But we will figure it out, in the same way that you are making it work!

Liked by 1 person

12. Ugh I feel you!! Working is so hard right now. My son is going through a sleep regression as well and it’s just exhausting! Hang in there girly!

Liked by 2 people

1. Shelly DS says:

Oh gosh thank you and good luck to you! They say it does pass… I’m thinking it never does lol but we will come out stronger because of it ❤

Liked by 2 people

1. True! Oh I know it feels never ending!

Liked by 3 people

13. sarahstyf says:

So much yes!

14. bethblogger123 says:

Let’s start a movement – the backwards movement!!! I’m all for it!!! ;0)

Hahaha sign me up! Thanks for stopping by 💖