When the lights turn off

It doesn’t matter how stunning you looked in the face of the world. You could’ve been photographed by a stranger and deemed the most presentable. The kids can gaze in awe, hoping to one day be like you- but none of that matters. What I care about is how you feel when the camera turns off.

It doesn’t matter if your crush has finally acknowledged your existence or even shown some interest with glittering eyes. You may have been called the most attractive person they’ve ever seen – but none of that matters. What I care about is how you feel when the attention goes away.

It doesn’t matter that you aced your exams or did well on a project. You can even be the best performer in the corporate space. Your peers can refer to you as extremely ambitious – but none of that matters. What I care about is how you feel when the praise dies down.

It doesn’t matter that you earned riches and can finally afford your desires. You can buy all of the shiniest objects that are worth far more than other’s wealth. You can donate millions in the name of good will- but none of that matters. What I care about is how you feel when the money runs out.

It doesn’t matter if you have more acquaintances than the stars in the sky. You can have a million followers on social media or thousands of friends on Facebook. You’re invited to every event and are the life of the party- but none of that matters. What I care about is how you feel when the music stops.

Caring is a stretch, curiosity is more fitting. I am curious to know if that smile on your face is genuine, if your thoughts of yourself are respectful, if your words are a true representation of how you feel. It may not be anyone’s business but answer this if you dare… how do you feel about yourself when the lights turn off?

19 Comments Add yours

1. beth says:

An excellent point

Liked by 1 person

2. Beautiful post and an important reminder as well. Thanks for sharing this. 🥰😄

1. Shelly DS says:

Thanks hun 💖 I hope you answer the questions for yourself 😉

1. Welcome dear! Yesss!😍🤗

1. Shelly DS says:

Thanks hun! Are you feeling better?

1. You are welcome 😊 Yes I am doing better. Glad to be home from the hospital 🙂

2. Shelly DS says:

That’s awesome! I really wish you’d stop ending up there 😞

Liked by 1 person

3. Me too! Thankfully most of the time I can treat myself at home. But when the swelling is in my throat my doctors insist that I have to go to the hospital. 😔

3. A challenging question indeed! I treat everyone the same ie I take people and situations as I find them. What you see is what you get: happy, contented, sad, annoyed, rarely angry. If I smile – it’s genuine. If someone says I look tired – I say, yes I am. If I’m interviewed by the media I’m factual, even handed. Whether the lights are on or off, it’s me – there’s no facade.

1. Shelly DS says:

Well that’s awesome then! I work in sales so I’ve gotten quite good at pretending to be something I’m not, or that I feel better than I actually do… we call it a sales face 🙈 and it’s tiring!

Liked by 1 person

1. I totally appreciate where you are coming from, Shelly. I have met many former sales people who have ended up on a different career path which has allowed them to be who they are. To get to where I ended up in life, there was only one way and I was never going to be any different regarding my journey.

2. Shelly DS says:

You’re right, a different career path does sound enticing, but I have to admit my current role is crucial for the phase of life I’m currently in. Until then, I’ll wear my professional hat and deal with the sales face 😅

Liked by 1 person

4. All what we go with when we die is the memories we created. And so I always say love yourself love others, live, experience, be happy and enjoy life! Create the life you want to live, people on the internet aren’t going to live your life for you. This is a great post many should read it!

https://beautyofcafe205.blog/ | Xo Cata

5. Michelle (Boomer Eco Crusader) says:

This is a great question to ponder. I’ve always said that you need to be able to look at yourself in the mirror and like the person you see looking back. And it’s not about looks. It’s about being happy with the person you are on the inside.

6. Thought-provoking post. One has to wonder why we keep up with pretenses even when we are dying inside. Sad truth of society. This is why much of awakening is required. Awakening in the practical way, not woo woo way.

1. Shelly DS says:

Lol woo woo way? 😂 you never fail to make me laugh! You are right, but I think the onus is on each of us to ensure our own happiness (and self awareness). We can’t blame society for how we perceive ourselves, at least when we have passed a certain age.

7. This is an interesting question, one i really need to think about properly!! thanks for posing the question!